Sunday 25 January 2009

I had a bit of a 'Joker' and now I have concussion

Last night we went to my big sisters birthday party. It was great, a dinner party for 19 during which we did a smorgasbord of music and picture quizzes. I drank several glasses of red wine, so much so that when I got home I had a bit of a 'Joker' (hardcore winos will understand). I had a slightly dull head this morning.

We had a sort of lie in; if you call waking at 6am, but remaining ensconced in the duvet, whilst small children leap about and thrust various items up your nose and in your ears … a lie in.

We got up had breakfast and took the 13 year old to her weekly horse worship at the stables for 10.15. We continued on our way to watch our 11 year old nephew play football. The 2 year old gets very excited about watching him play, today was no exception, and he jabbered on and on and on until we reached the football club.

We got wellington booted up and wandered over to the pitch. It was freezing and with the help of an elixir (Diet Coke) the dull red wine headache started to abate. The match was in full flow but as we got closer it became apparent that we could not see brother or sister in law. On further investigation we realised that they were not there, nor was our nephew. Usually nephew can be spotted instantly; he has been blessed with the family trait of having incredibly skinny legs (that is husband’s side of the family and definitely not mine. I am a member of ‘thunder thighs anonymous’).

Two random teams were playing. The 2 year old was so excited about seeing his big cousin play football that we had to stay and watch other people’s cousins play instead. I spent 30 minutes thinking that I could still be at home in my dressing gown slobbing on the sofa whilst nursing my head.

It was then that husband checked his phone to find a text, sent at 9am, saying ‘football called off’. Humph.

It is now Sunday evening and the neighbours have come to ask if husband ‘wants to come out to play’; code for a swift pint or four in the pub.
I have just got something out of a high cupboard in the kitchen and dropped it, picked it up and whacked the top of my head on the underside of the cupboard. I can’t tell you how much I swore. For the record the children were an inch away from the TV two rooms away … plus the 2 year old is virtually deaf. I now have a painful egg shaped bump on my head.

If husband had been here he would have sniggered and given me a ‘told you so’ look. To his annoyance I am always leaving cupboards open or even just slightly ajar.

If I collapse with concussion, the children will put themselves to bed and husband will come home to find me slumped against the keyboard. Just in case that happens and he ignores me and decides to catch up on my blog …

Husband – I have concussion. Your tea is in the oven. I think the children have gone to bed, if they haven’t you will find them raiding the biscuit barrel, guaranteed. Don’t forget to Sky Plus the new series of Lost which starts tonight at 9pm.

Newsflash - The 2 year old has just refused a bag of chocolate buttons, I DEFINITELY have concussion.

12 comments:

Jinksy said...

Soounds like a pretty average Sunday to me...

Mum's the word said...

I really enjoyed todays blog and can relate to it. I was out last night and finally made it to bed just before 3am. No hang-over.....just exhausted. But now I'm happily slouched on my couch watching Lost.
The other thing I really like, is your title....Are We Nearly There Yet Mummy?....that is definitely a childhood memory, lots of driving during our summer hols.
I've just started my blog and find it slightly addictive.
Keep writing.

BookChook said...

Laughing so much at Jinksy's comment here! Not at you, no, never at you. With you maybe....

(This is so mazing, guess what the blogger word identification is? "porme" - it must have picked up your bump by osmosis!)

Kitty said...

Just wait until the 2 yr old is playing football every darned weekend in the most freezing weather in the whole of freezing land. It's hell. x

Anonymous said...

Ha! Sounds like you are in control, even when injured. Hope you head feels better.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! With all that red wine I would be slumped for a week.

Do hope the head gets better soon. Great blog, btw.

CJ xx

Stinking Billy said...

laura, I have often wondered who watches 'Lost'? Mrs Billy won't allow me - there must be some right talent (as they say in Yorks) flouncing around with nowt on. ;-) x

Laura - Are We Nearly There Yet Mummy? said...

Stinking Billy - There's something for everyone!

Jinksy - Concussion every Sunday?! That would be a pain.

Mum's The Word - Lost ... I think I will be lost when I watch it tonight!

Book Chook - I don't mind if you laugh at me ... it wouldn't be the first time and it certainly won't be the last!

Kitty - Husband loves football so he will be there rain or shine. I will be there shine or umm ... shine!

Modern Mother - Still throbbing, though not as bad as last night.

Crystal Jigsaw - Dissapointingly the red wine staining round my mouth didn't reflect the amount I had drunk, which wasn't actually that much which is why the headache caught me unawares.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Wow, I feel like you were peeking in my window... except my two year old was sneaking buttons, not refusing them.

Lost. Why am I seeing Lost on everyone's site? Am I so out of the loop??? I tried to watch it once, but I was... well, lost. I had no idea who anybody was or why the music was playing a scary tune as they all looked at each other. I want to be part of the in crowd :-(

Michelle said...

This is the exact scenario at my house on any given day, but opposite. Husband is always knocking his head on the open cupboards.

seriously? said...

Great post....hits a tad too close to home. FYI - watching other random kids play football sounds much less cumbersome than the lie in. I hate it when I get myself out of bed, showered, dressed and ready to go only to find it had been cancelled. DOHHH! (Homer Simpson style)

Mum's the word said...

So what did you think of the first new episode of Lost? Did it live up to your expectations? Will you watch it next week or not? I look forward to hearing a review.