Saturday 15 November 2008

Six Pairs Of Pants, One Wet Fart

When my daughter had just turned two we started potty training her. She had a keen interest in bodily functions and the thought of wearing ‘big girl knickers’ made her swell with pride. She was prime potty training fodder and got the hang of the basics within a fortnight. At times it was very frustrating, but that frustration had to be hidden behind my ‘Oh dear, don’t worry, let’s try again’ face, for fear of sending her back to square one. At the end of week one I decided that I would bin the offending pants if a rogue poo had occurred rather than scrape the contents into the toilet. It turned out over the next six months that we would have several bouts of regression, sometimes for good reason, sometimes sheer laziness. So it came to pass that the only way back to dry pants was persuasion (bribery) of a chocolate variety.

I am now embarking on the same journey with the 2 year old (who will be 3 in January). My attitude was that I would wait until he was definitely, 100% ready. I’ve found lots of reasons to put it off – starting pre-school, new OAP childminders, not enough pairs of pants. He has repeatedly shown interest in the toilet, choosing to climb atop and squat above. I’m not sure where he learnt this approach, but it works for him. He would be a natural in a French ‘squat toilet’. However he has also shown rebellion in his toilet habits (see ‘The Morning Log’). Now, I’m getting impatient. The final straw came when I had to buy some emergency nappies from the local chemist for double the price I would pay in the supermarket. I want rid. NO MORE NAPPIES.

So, we’re off. Today my boy and I bought another pack of pants. Backup pants. He chose Lazytown ones which have the character Sportacus in an assortment of cheesy poses on the crotch. He lovingly clutched them all the way home. Once home, he immediately stripped and put them on … then did a massive wee in them. Pair number two came out and a discussion about what to do in the event of needing the toilet was had. He nodded, then got on with some serious playing. They lasted 10 minutes. I banned all drinks, even the one he had stashed behind the sofa and pair three made a grand entrance. He coolly announced he needed a poo and obligingly did it on the potty. I cheered, we flushed, he proudly waved goodbye to the poo and replaced his pants. Unfortunately the poo was followed by a wet fart with substance – neither he nor the pants could have seen that coming. The wet fart confused him, I could see it in his eyes, he felt cheated.

I left him alone for a while to bask in his 4th pair of pants. I say left alone, but I shouted ‘do you need a wee’ at regular intervals from the other room. I say regular intervals, try every five minutes.

In my absence he decided that three pairs of pants is better than one and had put them on in a hit and miss style so he couldn’t walk properly – having put his waist through the leg hole on one pair. It was of course this moment that he decided he needed another wee. Once removed, his three pairs of pants were somewhat damp but he still made it to the toilet for the remainder. Being tight I made him wear a damp pair and put the other two on the radiator.
All this activity in an hour.

Next week I have to rely on not only myself, but, the husband, the pre-school and the OAP childminder’s support. Too many cooks …

I’m optimistic though … I’ll have him sorted, even if I have to resort to the chocolate buttons. But please, no more unexpected wet farts.

6 comments:

Tim Atkinson said...

Oh no - you've reminded me of what we've got to go through (again) soon. With Sally I really don't remember it being a problem; let's hope her brother takes to it as well as she did!

Gone said...

We were spoiled when Stumpy took to the potty with ease. I imagine trying with our twins is going to be a little more stressful.

Sandi McBride said...

Having potty trained two boys I would never ever volunteer to potty train another child. Nore would I offer any suggestions other than to stop pulling your hair out...eventually they will get it. When my granddaughter was being trained (at age 2 years) my son asked me if I had any suggestions. I told him yes, send her to her other grandmothers and hope for the best. He admitted that Grandma Judy had laughed so hard when asked for help that she had reverted back to kindergarten stage and wet herself. Nuff said.
Sandi

Anonymous said...

It's all coming back to me now!

CJ xx

Unknown said...

When we were potty training we carried a potty around in the car. I don't know what was worse. Jumping in the backseat of a moving car trying to throw the child on the potty...because he was in underwear and "hey we can go on a trip to grandma without diapers" or pulling over on a busy highway to take said child onto potty in the pull-off lane. While daddy stood with his jacket in the air in a sad attempt to cover the whole thing up

Anonymous said...

This is going to be so much more help to me than the books!